A Solar Water Heater is a water-heating device which provides hot water for bathing, washing, cleaning, and many other purposes only by using solar energy. The solar water heater or hot water system is a very efficient way to generate the supply of hot water at domestic places at cost-effective solutions. It is generally installed at the terrace or any other place of the building where an ample amount of sunlight available.
The solar water heaters are the best solar products used in heating water during day time and stored in an insulated storage tank to use for various applications when required. These solar water heating systems can be used in any climate which they use for heat generation is sun rays, available free of cost.
Working principle of solar water heater
The solar water heater consists of an array of solar collectors (help to collect solar energy or sunlight or solar power) and an insulated tank (helps to store hot water). Water in solar collectors gets heated during the day time, which is either pumped or flown automatically on the thermosiphon principle to the storage tank.
Types of solar water heater
There are two types of solar water heaters available. One is Active type (based on flat plate collectors or FPC), and another one is Passive type (based on evacuated tube collectors ETC). The Active Type Solar Water Heaters are available based on flat plate collectors, and the Passive Type Solar Water Heaters are based on evacuated tube collectors. Flat plate collectors (FPC) based water heating systems are of a metallic type and have a longer life, whereas Evacuated tube collectors (ETCs) are made of glasses and fragile hence, they have a shorter life.
1. Active Solar Water Heater or Heating System
There are two categories of active solar water heaters, which include:
- Direct circulation system: It is one category of active solar water heating systems in which pumps being used to circulate household water through the collectors and into the home. Direct circulation water heaters generally work well in climates where they rarely freeze.
- Indirect circulation systems: It is another category of active solar water heating system where pumps circulate a non-freezing, heat-transfer fluid through the collectors and a heat exchanger- this heats the water and flows into the home. Indirect circulation water heaters are popular in climates prone areas to freezing temperatures.
(Image Source: Energydepot.com)
2. Passive Solar Water Heating Systems
There are two basic categories of passive solar water heating systems, which include:
- Integral collector-storage passive system: It works well in households with significant daytime and evening with hot-water needs. This category of water heaters works best in those areas where temperatures rarely fall below freezing.
- Thermosiphon passive water heating system: It works to provide the warm water when it rises as cooler water sinks. As the collector is installed below the storage tank so warm water rises into the tank. This kind of passive solar waters is reliable and more expensive than integral collector-storage passive systems.
(Image Source: ResearchGate.com)
Advantages of solar water heater
- Availability of hot water throughout the year irrespective of any climate: The solar water heater works throughout the year. However, you would have to heat the water more with the help of a boiler or an immersion heater during the winter season because water cools down quickly during winters.
- Saves your electricity cost: We do not need to pay any monthly electricity charges in using the solar water heater, because it uses just sunlight which is available free of cost.
- No pollution problem: Though the solar water heater is green and renewable, it helps in the reduction of carbon dioxide gas hence, free from pollution.
Wrap it up
SolarClue is one of the trustworthy platforms where people can buy a solar water heater at an affordable price. On-grid solar systems, Off-grid solar systems with active as well as passive heating systems are available in this platform. Happy Utilizing Solar Water Heaters!!